The ERA-CLIM project is all about production of global climate data sets (observations, model data, reanalyses, metadata) and development of robust data access facilities (Reanalysis Data Server, Observation Feedback Archive) for users of the data.
Several data collections with observations suitable for climate reanalysis have been developed and/or improved in ERA-CLIM:
- An ERA-CLIM extension of the Comprehensive Historic Upper-Air Network (CHUAN), available from the University of Bern and via the PANGAEA data repository at a permanent web location ()
- Additional in-situ surface observations recovered in ERA-CLIM; these are available directly from the ERA-CLIM project partners. These data are also supplied to the National Climate Data Centre at NOAA for inclusion in their data collection.
- Several collections of ocean observations (EN4, HadIOD) to be made available via the Met Office Hadley Centre (after publication of a journal article describing each dataset)
Gridded data sets
- HadISST.2: Global estimates of sea-surface temperature and sea-ice concentration from 1899-2010. These will become available via the UK Met Office Hadley Centre (after publication of a journal article describing the dataset).
- ERA-20C: Global atmospheric reanalysis from 1900-2010, 3-hourly data at 125 km spatial resolution and 91 vertical levels. The data are being prepared for public release via the internet at ECMWF, expected mid-2014.
- ERA-20CM: Global atmospheric model simulations from 1900-2010, monthly data at 125 km spatial resolution and 91 vertical levels. The data are being prepared for public release via the internet at ECMWF, expected mid-2014.
- ERA-20CL: Global land-surface reanalysis from 1900-2010, 3-hourly data at 25 km spatial resolution. The data are being prepared for public release via the internet at ECMWF, expected mid-2014.
Observation feedback from reanaysis
- The Observation Feedback Archive (OFA) at ECMWF provides direct access to all input observations used in reanalysis, together with information such as quality indicators, bias estimates, and estimates of observation uncertainty.
ECMWF provides open access to ERA-CLIM reanalysis products and other research datasets at this link, which also points to the Observation Feedback Archive (OFA). The OFA is a permanent facility that will continue to be developed in support of future reanalysis projects.
The Met Office Hadley Centre provides internet access to observations data sets, including those developed in the ERA-CLIM project, at this link.
The University of Bern Oeschger Centre for Climate Change Research has created a metadatabase for in-situ data rescue, which includes data inventories for various sources, at this link.
The University of Bern Oeschger Centre for Climate Change Research also maintains a data server for the CHUAN collection at this link.